Our summer reading club, AMARILLO READS in the Summer, is one of the most important programs Amarillo Public Library offers. Research shows that library summer reading programs make a huge difference for kids returning to school in the fall:
- Participation in public library summer reading programs may prevent summer reading loss or even facilitate learning gains when schools are not in session.
- Positive effects do not differ by gender, limited English proficiency status, or economically disadvantaged status.
- Participants outperform nonparticipants on tests across all measures and grades (K–8).
- Repeat participants benefit the most from participation in summer reading programs.
The current COVID-19 situation means that AMARILLO READS in the Summer 2020 will be very different from previous years, but Amarillo Public Library remains committed to providing the program.
Here’s what you need to know:
- We still provide paper reading logs but registering online will allow us to make the process safer by limiting face to face contact.
- Dates for logging reading days will be June 1 through July 31, but online registration will open May 18.
- To allow our staff to quickly adjust to changing situations, the reading log will not include a calendar of events. We encourage participants to follow us on Facebook and to sign up for our email newsletter to be sure you don’t miss out on any programs or library information. REGISTER FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
- As always, you are never too young or too old to take part in AMARILLO READS in the Summer. Amarillo Public Library encourages daily reading from the first day of a child’s life, so infants and toddlers can be registered for the program and earn a free book when their parents help them complete early literacy tasks provided by Amarillo Public Library staff.
- Kids, teens, and adults who read at least 15 minutes on 30 days will still receive a prize. The prize for kids will be a brand new book. Adults will receive a voucher for a free bag of books at the Friends of the Amarillo Public Library Book Sale. Teens can choose between the voucher or a new book.
- At this time, we are uncertain when the next book sale will take place but vouchers will be good for at least 3 sales.