Guidelines for Book and Media Donations to Friends of the Amarillo Public Library
Thank you for considering a donation of used books or media to Friends of the Amarillo Public Library!
Your donations allow the Friends to continue supporting Library programs such as the Summer Reading Club, AMARILLO READS, Education Services, and special events and programs for readers of all ages.
Most items donated to the Friends will go into the Friends’ Annual Book Sales, although some items may be added to the library collection or sold individually in the Friends Store.
The Friends are happy to accept:
- Hardback/ paperback books in good condition including fiction, non-fiction, and recent textbooks
- Complete Encyclopedia sets in good condition
- Videos on DVD
- Audio books on CD
- Music on CD
We DO NOT accept:
- Books published by magazines e.g. Reader’s Digest; Southern Living, Bottom Line, Prevention,
- Water damaged books or books with covers removed
- Textbooks and/or computer manuals more than five years old
- Booklets or pamphlets—this includes folded papers and booklets held together with staples
- Mass market romances published prior to 2013
- Videos on VHS
- Audio books on cassette
- Large libraries of highly specialized material, e.g. law libraries
Please be respectful of Library staff and volunteers’ time and efforts and do not make donations of items on the “DO NOT accept” list.
Book donations may be dropped off at any Amarillo Public Library location, although it is very helpful to the Friends if donations are brought to the Downtown Library at 413 SE 4th Ave.
Donations dropped off at Branch Libraries must be in boxes of a size that can be carried by one person.
In special cases where a donor is unable to bring donations to the library, arrangements can be made for pick up by a Library courier inside the Amarillo city limits. Donations must be in boxes of a size that can be carried by one person. The courier cannot pick up loose books or books in bags.
Donations of any kind are not accepted between November and January.
For more information about donating to the Friends of the Amarillo Public Library, please call (806)378-3051 or email Stacy.Yates@amarillolibrary.org.